27 March 2023
The worst a part of Lyme illness season has simply begun so let’s discover ways to keep away from it.
From spring by early summer time the tiny nymphs of black-legged ticks (Ixodes scapularis) quest for blood meals from animals and people. Solely the dimensions of poppy seeds, the nymphs are actually onerous to see. If an contaminated tick bites you, it gives you Lyme illness micro organism.
To stop the debilitating illness, don’t let ticks get in your pores and skin.
- Select outside clothes that stops ticks from reaching your pores and skin:
- Mild coloured garments: So you’ll be able to see ticks simply.
- Lengthy pants.
- Lengthy sleeved shirt with collar + tuck in your shirt: Collar traps ticks earlier than they stroll up your neck.
- Socks: While you bushwhack or backyard, tuck pant bottoms into socks.
- Annually (i.e. now!) Spray your outside clothes with Permethrin. I do know from private expertise and the specialists agree that Permethrin works significantly better than DEET. Spray safety lasts 4-6 washings. Pre-treated garments can final 70 washings.
- Keep away from brushing in opposition to vegetation. Keep away from bushwhacking. Bush honeysuckle and Japanese barberry are tick magnets.
- If vegetation brushes you, subject examine your clothes for ticks if you attain a clearing. The earlier you get ticks off your garments the higher.
- Do a each day tick examine. Sure, each day! You may need missed one yesterday that’s nonetheless on you. Examine these spots.
In case you discover a tick take away it appropriately (right here’s how) and put it aside for testing. Ship it right here and so they’ll let you know if it carries Lyme illness.
Black-legged ticks are energetic 12 months spherical when the temperature is above freezing. In case you put on protecting clothes — sure, even in sizzling summer time — you’ll save your self a world of bother. See extra ideas right here.
p.s. There are many methods to outsmart ticks. Do you know zip pants entice ticks beneath the zip placket?
p.p.s. As Mary Jo Berman factors out within the feedback, I ought to have added this final tip on methods to kill ticks in your clothes. After you come indoors, put your outside garments within the dryer on excessive for 10 minutes BEFORE you wash them. Actually. It kills ticks.
(pictures by Kate St. John. tick chart from the Heart for Illness Management by way of Wikimedia Commons. Click on on the chart to see the unique)